SubjectRe: reiserfs, xfs, ext2, ext3
Daniel Podlejski wrote:

> In linux-kernel, martin@bugs.unl.edu.ar wrote:
> : We are waiting for a server with dual PIII, RAID 1,0 and 5 18Gb scsi disks to
> : come so we can change our proxy server, that will run on Linux with Squid.
> : One disk will go inside (I think?) and the other 4 on a tower conected to the
> : RAID, which will be have the cache of the squid server.
>
> Reiser is not good idea for squid cache. Why ? Squids cache is hashed
> by default to minimize "big directory effect". Reiserfs is fast on
> realy big directories, but it eat more cpu than ext2. On high loaded
> cache servers cpu utilization on reiser can be realy big.
> Better way is make more subdirectories in squid cache, and use
> filesystem, that eat less of cpu.
>
> --
> Daniel Podlejski <underley@underley.eu.org>
> ... I am immortal, I have inside me blood of kings,
> I have no rival, No man can bemy equal ...
> -

Nice theory, but the benchmarks say the opposite. Turn off tails, use reiserfs
raw, and we are the fastest way to do squid, which is still way slower than the
proprietary solutions that don't use squid. (squid's user space architecture is
poorly threaded, and that becomes the bottleneck.)

Hans

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.208 / U:0.048 seconds]