    SubjectRe: CML2 design philosophy heads-up
    Jamie Lokier <lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk>:
    > Which is unfortunately wrong if you want the parport subsystem on x86
    > but won't be using the parport_pc driver with it. I.e. you'll be using
    > some other driver which isn't part of the kernel tree. Perhaps a
    > modified version of parport_pc, perhaps something else.

    If you're integrating drivers that aren't in the kernel tree, you can and
    should patch the CML2 rulebase to compensate. So your patch for
    the modified driver should comment out the PARPORT_PC==PARPORT
    requirement. Problem solved.

    More generally, arguments of the form "Non-mainline custom hack X
    could invalidate constraint Y, therefore we can't have Y in the
    rulebase" are dangerous -- I suspect you could reduce your set of
    constraints to nil very quickly that way, and thus badly screw over
    the 99% of people who just want to build a more or less stock kernel.

    The abortion rights and gun control debates are twin aspects of a deeper
    question --- does an individual ever have the right to make decisions
    that are literally life-or-death? And if not the individual, who does?