    SubjectRe: [Question] Explanation of zero-copy networking
    On Mon, 7 May 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > documented so far) detailed description of the newly
    > > implemented zero-copy mechanisms in the network-stack.
    > > We are interested in how to use it (changed network-API?)
    > > and also in the internal architecture.
    >
    > It is built around sendfile. Trying to do zero copy on pages with user space
    > mappings get so horribly non pretty it is better to build the API from the
    > physical side of things.
    >
    > > Our second question: Are there any plans for contructing
    > > a general copy-avoidance infrastructure (smth. like UVM in
    > > NetBSD does) and new IPC-mechanisms on top of it yet??
    >
    > Andrea Arcangeli has O_DIRECT file I/O for the ext2 file system. There are also
    > several patches for kiovec based single copy pipes have been posted too.

    The Networking RFCs talk about "not copying data" as they
    attempt to give pointers on improving network speed.

    However, PCI to memory copying runs at about 300 megabytes per
    second on modern PCs and memory to memory copying runs at over 1,000
    megabytes per second. In the future, these speeds will increase.

    I don't advise retrofitting network code to improve the speed of
    older machines. Instead, time should be spent to improve the
    robustness and capability of the networking speed and accommodating
    the new breeds of GHz network boards.

    In case anybody is interested, Networking remains a serial communications
    element. As such, it functions as a low-pass filter. The speed of
    a serial communications link is set primarily by the dominant pole
    of the links transfer function, which in the frequency domain, is
    information_rate * 2. With 100 megabits/second link we have
    200 MHz as the dominent pole. The 2 comes from Shannon, it takes
    2 carrier events to determine if anything has changed (to transfer
    information). Therefore, if we can detect changes 100 million times
    per second, the information carrier must have been at least 200 MHz.
    This is the dominent pole.

    With a 300 Megabyte / second transfer via PCI, the information carrier
    must have been 300 * 8 * 2 = 4,800 MHz. This is 4,800/200 = 24 times
    the frequency of the dominent pole of the network transfer function.
    This is so far removed from the dominent pole of the system's transfer
    function that even doubling the PCI speed (66 MHz v.s. 33 MHz) will
    have no measurable affect upon networking speed. With existing kernels,
    you can perform network speed tests using "lo", removing the network
    board from the speed test. You will note that the network speed, due
    to software, is over 10 times faster, 30 times on some machines) than
    when the hardware I/O is used. This shows that the network code, alone,
    cannot be improved very much to provide an improvement in throughput.

    However, a new breed of GHz boards are now available. These boards
    have a dominent pole of 1000 * 2 = 2000 MHz. This is rougly one-
    half of the PCI bandwidth, and roughly the same as a 66 MHz bus.

    This is where some work needs to be done.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson

    obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.043 / U:31.088 seconds]