SubjectRe: Question on mmap(2) with kernel alocated memory
terry@beam.demon.co.uk said:
> I am trying to mmap() into user space a kernel buffer and am having
> problems.
> I have a simple test example, can someone please tell me what I have got
> wrong ?
>
> In a driver I do:
> uint* kva;
>
> kva = (uint*)kmalloc(4096, GFP_KERNEL);
> *kva = 0x11223344;
> printk("Address: %p %lx %x\n", kva, virt_to_phys(kva), *kva);
>
> Now in some simple user program I do:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <string.h>
> #include <stdlib.h>
> #include <sys/mman.h>
> #include <fcntl.h>
>
> int main(int argc, char** argv){
> int fm;
> char* p;
> uint* pi;
> uint v;
> uint add = 0x74b000;
>
> if((fm = open("/dev/mem", O_RDWR)) < 0)
> return 1;
>
> p = mmap(0, 128 * 1024 * 1024, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, fm,
> 0);
> printf("Mapped: %p\n", p);
>
> lseek(fm, add, SEEK_SET);
> read(fm, &v, sizeof(v));
> printf("V: %x\n", v);
>
> pi = (uint*)(p + add);
> printf("Vmmap: %p %x\n", pi, *pi);
>
> close(fm);
> return 0;
> }
>
> The value of add is hardcoded to the value printed for the physical
> address in the drivers prink routine.
> The lseek/read from the /dev/mem device yields the value 0x11223344.
> However the mmap method also on /dev/mem yields the value 0.
>
> Whats wrong with my mmap() or kalloc() ?

Executive summary:

mmap of /dev/mem gives different values than lseek/read of /dev/mem

Using lseek/read gives back bits of physical memory, but dereferencing
a pointer into the mmaped area mostly gives zeroes.

The file-system specific mmap routine, mmap_mem, calls
remap_page_range to do the work of remapping the physical pages
into user space. But eventually in remap_pte_range there's a check

if ((!VALID_PAGE(page)) || PageReserved(page))
set_pte(pte, mk_pte_phys(phys_addr, prot));

And the effect is that only the reserved pages and those outside
of the physical memory space get mapped. This isn't intuitive for
/dev/mem, but is it the intended behavior?

You could replicate those 80 odd lines of remap_page_range and helpers
to get a version without the PageReserved test. Yuk.

Quick hack:
SetPageReserved(virt_to_page(kva));

but you may want to undo that (Clear...) before kfree-ing the page,
as I'm not sure what will be confused by that.

Longer term solution: write your own mmap routine in the driver,
have the user code open /dev/my-driver, and mmap() on that instead
of going through /dev/mem with a hardcoded address.

-- Pete

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.036 / U:0.788 seconds]