    SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] pegasus + MediaGX: Oops in khubd, the continuing story?
    > The Oops'es are mostly in the khubd process, but they sometimes appear in other
    > programs (insmod, ifconfig). They always lead to an immedate panic, and nothing

    I suspect the ohci driver currently. I've been reviewing it a little and it
    is full of code written by someone who does not know about pci write posting.

    writel(value, pciaddr)

    is a queued operation. So

    writel(value, foo)

    might not do the writel into the delay is over or during it. PCI makes
    guarantees that

    - writes will go out in order and will be merged only if prefetchable set
    - multiple writes to the same addr will remain multiple writes
    - reads will not complete until the writes do

    This applies in both directions - bus mastering nasties abound notably

    writel(STOP, reg->dmactrl)

    is dangerous

    You have to do

    writel(STOP, reg->dmactrl);
    [read forces write, read reply will follow any DMA
    pending the other way]

    I've not attempted to fix it yet

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.019 / U:5.440 seconds]