    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] [UPDATE] Directory index for ext2
    Daniel writes:
    > On Thursday 31 May 2001 21:44, Andreas Dilger wrote:
    > > I think Al's idea of doing the validation once on the initial
    > > read is a good one.
    > I'm doing that in the current patch, for leaf blocks, look at
    > ext2_bread. For index blocks, ext2_bread needs help to know that a
    > block is supposed to be an index block. Add a parameter?

    I think we should just get rid of the misconception that ext2_bread()
    is a block read function. It is only used by directory functions.
    Instead we should have separate ext2_bread_leaf(), ext2_bread_root(),
    ext2_bread_node() which do the appropriate validation for each type
    of block.

    In ext2_bread_dir() if we really think directory block prealloc is a win
    (in addition to the existing in-memory contiguous block prealloc), we
    may as well do it each time we split a leaf block, and make them valid
    in-use leaf blocks instead of just wasting space on disk (i.e. each split
    block has the hash space split into 1/N of the existing space, and we
    distribute existing entries across all N blocks).

    This way we don't have to split the each directory block so many times.
    For indexed directories this is (probably) a net win because we avoid
    N extra block splits (i.e. extra copying of leaf blocks), and make the
    leaf search space smaller. On non-indexed ext2 it would be a net loss
    because we would still have to read and search each directory block,
    even if they are empty.

    > It's normal for it to start by putting all the entries into the first
    > two blocks, but after those are split it should be pretty uniform
    > across the resulting 4, and so on. Can you confirm it's unbalanced?

    I don't think that is what I was seeing, because the hash block numbers
    were not "->1" and "->2" (which would be the case right after a split),
    but rather 30's, 40's, etc.

    > > Running mongo has shown up another bug, I see, but haven't had a
    > > chance to look into yet. It involves not being able to delete files
    > > from an indexed directory:
    > >
    > > rm: cannot remove `/mnt/tmp/testdir1-0-0/d0/d1/d2/d3/509.r':
    > > Input/output error
    > >
    > > This is after the files had been renamed (.r suffix). Do we re-hash
    > > directory entries if the file is renamed? If not, then that would
    > > explain this problem. It _looks_ like we do the right thing, but the
    > > mongo testing wipes out the filesystem after each test, and the above
    > > message is from a logfile only.
    > The rename creates the new entry via ext2_add_entry so the hash must be
    > correct. Time to get out the bug swatter. I'll get mongo and try it.

    One other point of information. In the test I was running, it was
    always the file "509.r" which had the I/O error (new filesystem each
    test run, btw, and no IDE errors in the log).

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
    \ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?" -- Dogbert

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.023 / U:17.872 seconds]