SubjectRe: [CHECKER] 4 security holes in 2.4.4-ac8

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Dawson Engler wrote:

> > Believe it or not, this one is OK :-)
> >
> > All callers pass in a pointer to a local stack kernel variable
> > in raddr.
>
> Ah. I assumed that "sys_*" meant that all pointers were from user
> space --- is this generally not the case? (Also, are there other
> functions called directly from user space that don't have the sys_*
> prefix?)

to automate this for the Stanford checker i've attached the
'getuserfunctions' script that correctly extracts these function names
from the 2.4.5 x86 entry.S file.

unfortunately the validation of the script will always be manual work,
although for the lifetime of the 2.4 kernel the actual format of the
entry.S file is not going to change. To make this automatic, i've added a
md5sum to the script itself, if entry.S changes then someone has to review
the changes manually. It's important to watch the md5 checksum, because
new system-calls can be added in 2.4 as well.

a few interesting facts. Functions that are called from entry.S but do not
have the sys_ prefix:

do_nmi
do_signal
do_softirq
old_mmap
old_readdir
old_select
save_v86_state
schedule
schedule_tail
syscall_trace
do_divide_error
do_coprocessor_error
do_simd_coprocessor_error
do_debug
do_int3
do_overflow
do_bounds
do_invalid_op
do_coprocessor_segment_overrun
do_double_fault
do_invalid_TSS
do_segment_not_present
do_stack_segment
do_general_protection
do_alignment_check
do_page_fault
do_machine_check
do_spurious_interrupt_bug

functions in the kernel source that have the sys_ prefix and use
asmlinkage but are not called from the x86 entry.S file:

sys_accept
sys_bind
sys_connect
sys_gethostname
sys_getpeername
sys_getsockname
sys_getsockopt
sys_listen
sys_msgctl
sys_msgget
sys_msgrcv
sys_msgsnd
sys_recv
sys_recvfrom
sys_recvmsg
sys_semctl
sys_semget
sys_semop
sys_send
sys_sendmsg
sys_sendto
sys_setsockopt
sys_shmat
sys_shmctl
sys_shmdt
sys_shmget
sys_shutdown
sys_socket
sys_socketpair
sys_utimes

the list is pretty big. There are 33 functions that are called from
entry.S but do not have the sys_ prefix or do not have the asmlinkage
declaration.

NOTE: there are other entry points into the kernel's 'protection domain'
as well, and not all of them are through function interfaces. Some of
these interfaces pass untrusted pointers and/or untrusted parameters
directly, but most of them pass a pointer to a CPU registers structure
which is stored on the kernel stack (thus the pointer can be trusted), but
the contents of the registers structure are untrusted and must not be used
unchecked.

1) IRQ handling, trap handling, exception handling entry points. I've
atttached the 'getentrypoints' script that extracts these addresses from
the i386 tree:

divide_error
debug
int3
overflow
bounds
invalid_op
device_not_available
double_fault
coprocessor_segment_overrun
invalid_TSS
segment_not_present
stack_segment
general_protection
spurious_interrupt_bug
coprocessor_error
alignment_check
machine_check
simd_coprocessor_error
system_call
lcall7
lcall27

all of these functions get parameters passed that are untrusted.

2) bootup parameter passing.

there is a function entry point, start_kernel, but there is also lots of
implicit parameter passing, values filled out by the boot code, and
parameters stored in hardware devices (eg. PCI settings and more). These
all are theoretical protection domain entry points, but impossible to
check automatically - the validity of current system state will have to be
checked manually. (and in most cases it can be trusted - but not all
cases.) Some 'unexpected' boot-time entry points: initialize_secondary on
SMP systems for example.

3) manually constructed unsafe entry points which are hard to automate.
include/asm-i386/hw_irq.h's BUILD macros are used in a number of places.
One type of IRQ building uses do_IRQ() as an entry point. The SMP
code builds the following entry points:

reschedule_interrupt
invalidate_interrupt
call_function_interrupt
apic_timer_interrupt
error_interrupt
spurious_interrupt

but most of these pass no parameters, but apic_timer_interrupt does get
untrusted parameters.

4) BIOS exit/entry points, eg in the APM code. Impossible to check, we
have to trust the BIOS's code.

i think this mail should be a more or less complete description of all
entry points into the kernel. (Let me know if i missed any of them, or any
of the scripts misidentifies entry points.)

Ingo

grep -E 'set_trap_gate|set_system_gate|set_call_gate' arch/i386/*/*.c arch/i386/*/*.h | grep -v 'static void' | cut -d, -f2- | sed 's/&//g' | cut -d\) -f1

if [ "`md5sum arch/i386/kernel/entry.S`" != "0e19b0892f4bd25015f5f1bfe90b441a arch/i386/kernel/entry.S" ]; then echo "entry.S file's MD5sum changed! Please revalidate the changes and change the md5sum in this script."; exit -1; fi

(grep 'call S' arch/i386/kernel/entry.S | grep '[()]'; grep '\.long SYMBOL_NAME' arch/i386/kernel/entry.S; grep 'pushl \$ SYMBOL' arch/i386/kernel/entry.S) | cut -d\( -f2 | cut -d\) -f1 | sort | uniq

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:54    [W:0.087 / U:1.820 seconds]