SubjectRe: Possible PCI subsystem bug in 2.4
Linus Torvalds wrote:
> The question is mainly _which_ power of two.
>
> I don't think we can round up infinitely, as that might just end up
> causing us to not have any PCI space at all. Or we could end up deciding
> that real PCI space is memory, and then getting a clash when a real device
> tries to register its bios-allocated area that clashes with our extreme
> rounding.
>
> I suspect it would be safe to round up to the next megabyte, possibly up
> to 64MB or so. But much more would make me nervous.
>
> Any suggestions?

Is there any chance you could simply test the bottom of PCI address
space? If you could set up the x86 to trap non-DRAM read/writes
temporarily, you could tell where useable DRAM area stops.

--
Jeff Garzik | Game called on account of naked chick
Building 1024 |