    SubjectRe: [patch]: ide dma timeout retry in pio
    > request, when we hit a dma timout. In this case, what we really want to
    > do is retry the request in pio mode and revert to normal dma operations
    > later again.

    really? do we know the nature of the DMA engine problem well enough?
    is there a reason to believe that it'll work better "later"?
    I guess I was surprised at resorting to PIO - couldn't we just
    break the request up into smaller chunks, still using DMA?

    I seem to recall Andre saying that the problem arises when the
    ide DMA engine looses PCI arbitration during a burst. shorter
    bursts would seem like the best workaround if this is the problem...

    resorting to PIO would be such a shame, not only because it eats
    CPU so badly, but also because it has no checksum like UDMA...

    thanks, mark hahn.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:54    [W:0.020 / U:10.880 seconds]