SubjectRe: IDE Performance lack !
Date
In article <00c701c0e6d8$2b28ea40$4aa6b3d0@Toshiba>,
Jaswinder Singh <jaswinder.singh@3disystems.com> wrote:
>I am not able to understand why Linux read and/or write harddisk after some
>time (after few hours ) , harddisk read/write leds keep on glowing for few
>minutes , even though nobody working on it and machine is in idle state.

Are you sure it is idle. It might be running something from cron-
say 'updatedb' or similar. That will cause a lot of disk i/o,
and _ofcourse_ performance will be bad then - the machine is
doing a lot of other things.

It might also be that you don't have enough memory and the
machine is swapping itself to death. Running netscape or
mozilla perhaps? These are known to blow themselves up to
50-100 MB (!). That will cause the exact symptoms you're seeing.

>>Have you tried 2.2.x ?
>>

>yes i am taking about 2.2.12 .

2.2.12 is old. In my experience, 2.2.19 is the first really
good 2.2 kernel. Especially in low-memory situations like
you might be experiencing..

>And in my 2.4.2 :-

2.4.2 isn't all that good either.. 2.4.x doesn't have VM sorted
out just yet

>and when my machine becomes normal i got :-
>9.07 MB/sec

Sounds about right for a non-UDMA disk.

>But my problem is why linux boxes do not response for few seconds
>(sometimes) and especially during telnet/ssh it looks more worst and looks
>similar to Microsoft Windows :(
>there is problem in scheduling or what ?

Try 2.2.19

Mike.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:54    [W:0.024 / U:0.144 seconds]