SubjectRe: Configure.help entries wanted
Date
On Fri, 25 May 2001 02:35:58 -0400,
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com> wrote:
>Keith Owens <kaos@ocs.com.au>:
>> +McKinley A-step specific code
>> +CONFIG_MCKINLEY_ASTEP_SPECIFIC
>> + Select this option to build a kernel for an IA64 McKinley system
>> + with any A-stepping CPU.
>> +
>> +McKinley A0/A1-step specific code
>> +CONFIG_MCKINLEY_A0_SPECIFIC
>> + Select this option to build a kernel for an IA64 McKinley system
>> + with an A0 or A1 stepping CPU.
>
>Is there a value range in /proc/cpuinfo that tells you you have an A/A0 step?

Unfortunately I do not have the McKinley data yet, the NDA is worse
than the Itanium one. Fill in later when the data is available, I
expect more McKinley steppings to be added to the list.

>> +CONFIG_IA64_DEBUG_CMPXCHG
>> + Selecting this option turns on bug checking for the IA64
>> + compare-and-exchange instructions. This is slow! If you're unsure,
>> + select N.
>
>These would be much improved by some indication of what IA64 variants or mask
>steppings have these problems.

Early ones for compare-and-exchange. AFAIK no recent (Itanium B3 or
later) cpu has these problems.

>> +IA64 IRQ bug checking
>> +CONFIG_IA64_DEBUG_IRQ
>> + Selecting this option turns on bug checking for the IA64 irq_save and
>> + restore instructions. This is slow! If you're unsure, select N.

This is software, not hardware, debugging. It saves addresses to help
track down spinlock problems.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.043 / U:0.156 seconds]