    SubjectRe: Why side-effects on open(2) are evil. (was Re: [RFD w/info-PATCH]device arguments from lookup)
    On Tuesday 22 May 2001 19:49, Oliver Xymoron wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 May 2001, Daniel Phillips wrote:
    > > > I don't think it's likely to be even workable. Just consider the
    > > > directory entry for a moment - is it going to be marked d or
    > > > [cb]?
    > >
    > > It's going to be marked 'd', it's a directory, not a file.
    > Are we talking about the same proposal? The one where I can open
    > /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp/ctl? But I can still do 'cat /dev/hda >
    > /dev/dsp'?

    We already support read/write on directories in the VFS, that's not a

    > It's still a file. If it's not a file anymore, it ain't UNIX.

    It's a file with the directory bit set, I believe that's UNIX.

    > > > If it doesn't have the directory bit set, Midnight commander
    > > > won't let me look at it, and I wouldn't blame cd or ls for
    > > > complaining. If it does have the 'd' bit set, I wouldn't blame
    > > > cp, tar, find, or a million other programs if they did the wrong
    > > > thing. They've had 30 years to expect that files aren't
    > > > directories. They're going to act weird.
    > >
    > > No problem, it's a directory.
    > >
    > > > Linus has been kicking this idea around for a couple years now
    > > > and it's still a cute solution looking for a problem. It just
    > > > doesn't belong in UNIX.
    > >
    > > Hmm, ok, do we still have any *technical* reasons?
    > If you define *technical* to not include design, sure.

    Sorry, I don't see what you mean, do you mean the design is

    > Oh, did I mention unnecessary, solvable in userspace?

    That's exactly the point: the generic filesystem allows all the
    funny-shaped stuff to be dealt with in user space. The
    filesystem itself is lovely and clean.

    BTW, I didn't realize I was reinventing Linus's wheel, this just
    seemed very obvious and natural to me. So I had to believe
    there's a technical obstacle somewhere.

    Has anyone written code to demonstrate the idea?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.025 / U:1.012 seconds]