    SubjectRe: [kbuild-devel] Re: CML2 design philosophy heads-up

    Jakob> On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 10:10:49PM -0400, Robert M. Love wrote:
    >> I think this is a very important point, and one I agree with. I
    >> tend to let my distribution handle stuff like python. now, I use
    >> RedHat's on-going devel, RawHide. it is not using python2. in
    >> fact, since switching to python2 may break old stuff, I don't
    >> expect python2 until 8.0. that wont be for 9 months. 90% of
    >> RedHat's configuration tools, et al, are written in python1 and
    >> they just are not going to change on someone's whim.

    Jakob> 2.6.0 isn't going to happen for at least a year or two. What's
    Jakob> the problem ?

    Jakob> Want 2.5.X ? Get the tools too.

    Some people grab the latest devel kernels because thats all that works
    on their hardware.

    Jakob> I'm in no position to push people around, but I think the
    Jakob> whining about CML2 tool requirements is completely unjustified.
    Jakob> If we required that everything worked with GCC 2.7.2 and nmake,
    Jakob> where would we be today ? I'm a lot more worried about CML2
    Jakob> itself than about the tools it requires :)

    gcc-2.7.2 is broken it miscompiles the kernel, Python1 or bash are
    not.

    Jakob> Whether CML2 requires python2 or not, the distributions will
    Jakob> change. This is not about Eric pushing something down people's
    Jakob> throats. Tools evolve, and new revisions introduce
    Jakob> incompatibilities, but distributions still follow the
    Jakob> evolution. Nobody ships perl4 today either.

    The point is that Eric has been trying to push distributions to ship
    P2.

    Jes

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.026 / U:92.492 seconds]