    SubjectRe: [RFD w/info-PATCH] device arguments from lookup, partion code
    On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 08:26:20PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > You're missing the point.

    I don't think Richard is actually. I think Richard has hit a nail
    dead on its head.

    > It's ok to do "read()/write()" on structures.

    Ok, we can read()/write() structures. So someone invents the following

    struct foo {
    int cmd;
    void *data;
    } foo;

    Now they use write(fd, &foo, sizeof(foo)); Haven't they just swapped
    the ioctl() interface for write() instead?

    Ok, lets hope that humanity isn't that stupid, so lets take another

    struct bar {
    int in_size;
    void *in_data;
    int out_size;
    void *out_data;

    struct foo {
    int cmd;
    struct bar1;
    } foo;

    Same write call, but ok, we have a structure of known size. Its still
    the same problem.

    What I'm trying to say is that I think that read+write is open to more
    or the same abuse that ioctl has been, not less.

    However, it does have one good thing going for it - you can support
    poll on blocking "ioctls" like TIOCMIWAIT.

    > None of which are "network-nice". Basically, ioctl() is historically used
    > as a "pass any crap into driver xxxx, and the driver - and ONLY the driver
    > - will know what to do with it".

    I still see read()/write() being a "pass any crap" interface. The
    implementer of the target for read()/write() will probably still be
    a driver which will need to decode what its given, whether its in
    ASCII or binary.

    And driver writers are already used to writing ioctl-like interfaces.

    Russell King ( The developer of ARM Linux

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.021 / U:6.356 seconds]