SubjectRe: Let init know user wants to shutdown
Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz> writes:

> > > Because apmd is optional
> >
> > The veto stuff only comes into action, iff someone has registered as
> > willing to exercise this power. We would not break compatibility with
> > any std kernel by instead having a apmd send a "reject all" ioctl
> > instead, and so deal with events without having the pressure of having
> > to reject or accept them, and let us remove all the veto code from the
> > kernel driver. Or am I missing something?
>
> No, this looks reasonable.

What do you think Stephen and Avery? Are you happy with this idea?

If anybody wants to test it, my latest pmevent patch will reject *all*
APM events it can. It would be easy to adapt that to turn on and off
with an ioctl. I am happy to do that if Stephen would accept
it. (Personally would like it if events were rejected by default but
that breaks backward compatibility and there is always someone who
would get bitten.)

The latest pmevent patch (v3) with various APM cleanups is available
at

http://ape.n3.net/programs/linux/offbutton/download

Note that it currently shares no code with the pmpolicy patch.
For more information see

http://ape.n3.net/programs/linux/offbutton/

--

http://ape.n3.net