    From said:
    > Everything is there. SCSI and ISDN have the equivalent devices of the
    > "lo" driver for the networking layer. Or the equivalent of tun/tap
    > devices for the ethernet layer.

    Is this sufficient to do driver development? TUN/TAP doesn't let me write
    ethernet drivers inside UML.

    > It just have to be an option in UML and every other adapters
    > switched off.

    This is a matter of fiddling the config process. It might not be easy, but
    there isn't much doubt that it's possible :-)

    > The problem is: I still do not really get how UML really works. Many
    > of the mapping rules (Kernel machanism on normal arch -> UML) are not
    > quite clear to me.
    > Is there a paper or sth. like that describing the design a bit more in
    > detail? I only found usage papers on the user-mode-linux home page.

    First, have a look at the USB patch at

    My ALS paper has a description of how UML basically works inside and it's not
    too much out of date -

    Also, my ALS and LCA slides have this sort of information -

    The LCA slides are probably better. They are from a few months later, and I
    had a longer slot, so I needed more slides.

    If you have questions which aren't answered on my site, send me mail.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.025 / U:6.648 seconds]