SubjectRe: Why side-effects on open(2) are evil. (was Re: [RFD w/info-PATCH]device arguments from lookup)
Here's a dumb question, and I apologize if I am questioning computer
science dogma...

Why are LVM and EVMS(competing LVM project) needed at all?

Surely the same can be accomplished with
* md
* snapshot blkdev (attached in previous e-mail)
* giving partitions and blkdevs the ability to grow and shrink
* giving filesystems the ability to grow and shrink

On-line optimization (defrag, etc) shouldn't be hard once you have the
ability to move blocks and files around, which would come with the
ability to grow and shrink blkdevs and fs's.

Jeff Garzik | "Do you have to make light of everything?!"
Building 1024 | "I'm extremely serious about nailing your
MandrakeSoft | step-daughter, but other than that, yes."

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.145 / U:4.708 seconds]