    SubjectRe: CML2 design philosophy heads-up
    Jonathan Morton <>:
    > Not everyone falls into the "expert user" and "Aunt Tillie" categories.
    > It's a *very* big grey area. If some semi-computer-literate user (ie. some
    > friends of mine!) wants to upgrade their kernel so they have access to
    > newer hardware (such as a cheap USB webcam), it should be made as simple as
    > possible for them. CML1 doesn't handle that very well, I'd like to see
    > it's replacement do better.

    Yes. One of the reasons I keep Aunt Tillie in mind as a UI target is that
    if I can design a configuration system that makes the task possible for her,
    then I'll have one that makes it easy for this much larger class of
    intermediate-level users.

    In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession
    or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches
    in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to the
    preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot
    say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear
    such an instrument. [...] The Militia comprised all males
    physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense.
    -- Majority Supreme Court opinion in "U.S. vs. Miller" (1939)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.026 / U:41.884 seconds]