SubjectRe: CML2 design philosophy heads-up
Jonathan Morton <chromi@cyberspace.org>:
> Not everyone falls into the "expert user" and "Aunt Tillie" categories.
> It's a *very* big grey area. If some semi-computer-literate user (ie. some
> friends of mine!) wants to upgrade their kernel so they have access to
> newer hardware (such as a cheap USB webcam), it should be made as simple as
> possible for them. CML1 doesn't handle that very well, I'd like to see
> it's replacement do better.

Yes. One of the reasons I keep Aunt Tillie in mind as a UI target is that
if I can design a configuration system that makes the task possible for her,
then I'll have one that makes it easy for this much larger class of
intermediate-level users.

In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession
or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches
in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to the
preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot
say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear
such an instrument. [...] The Militia comprised all males
physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense.
-- Majority Supreme Court opinion in "U.S. vs. Miller" (1939)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.504 / U:0.104 seconds]