SubjectRe: [newbie] timer in module
On Fri, 18 May 2001, sebastien person wrote:

> Le Fri, 18 May 2001 08:32:33 -0400 (EDT)
> Bart Trojanowski <bart@jukie.net> a ecrit :
>
> > On Fri, 18 May 2001, sebastien person wrote:
> >
> > > I have a network module that need to regularly get data from network
> > > adaptater.
> > > But I don't know if it safe to do a loop with a timer in the module.
> >
> > First off you have to decide where you want to run your 'get data'.
> There
> > are three context you can pick from: user priority or from the kernel.
> If
> > you run the loop below from a user context then you will have a very
> > unresponsive system but at least other things will still run. If you
> run
> > that from a kernel context nothing else will run... unless you
> explicitly
> > call the scheduler.
>
> So the fact to call the scheduler allow me to handle send request for
> example ?
>

> > > My aim is to do a get data call every x seconds (x is variable).
> >
> > You mentioned a timer... it runs in kernel context but at least it
> > will not end up hanging your system up. This is how you would use one:
> >
> > struct tq_struct timer;
> > init_timer(&timer);
> > timer.routine = func;
> > timer.data = something;
> > mod_timer(&timer, 5*HZ); // 5 seconds from now
> >
> > void func( unsigned long something ) {
> > get_data( something );
> > mod_timer(&timer, 5*HZ); // again in 5 seconds
> > }
> >
> > Make sure you call 'del_timer_sync' once you are done.
> >
> > > Is it better to let an external program executing timer call and get
> data
> > > call via ioctl ?
> >
> > Since you are getting data every 5 seconds you may as well use a user
> > space program. It does not seem like you are looking for phenomenal
> > responsiveness here.
> >
> > Bart.
> >
> > --
> > WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/
>
> Thanks for all these details
> -

Errm... Something that happens every 5 seconds??? USER MODE. This
Is what Unix/Linux is very good at!

Generic device:

fd = open("/dev/device", O_RDWR);
for(;;)
{
read(fd, buf, sizeof(buf));
ioctl(fd, GET_MY_PARMS, &params);
sleep(5);
}

Network modules use sockets.

struct ifreq iq;
memset(&iq, 0x00, sizeof(iq));
strcpy(iq.ifr_name. "eth0");
iq.ifr_data = pointer_to_a_place_to_put_get_stuff;
s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);
for(;;)
{
ioctl(s, GET_MY_PARAMS, &iq);
sleep(5);
}

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.053 / U:0.272 seconds]