SubjectRe: [reiserfs-list] reiserfs, xfs, ext2, ext3 (simple benchmarks)
Steve Lord, please work with Yura to resolve the bug that mongo triggers in
XFS. I assume you will be as eager as we usually are for any script that can
reproduce a bug.

Yura's benchmarks don't really show off the strengths of XFS, just as the
spanish benchmark didn't show off the strengths of reiserfs. I expect that once
mongo works there will be areas where XFS has clear advantages, probably in
large file IO and for reads. We look forward to measuring reiser4 against XFS
during linux 2.6, though I suspect there will always be (changing) areas where
the two filesystems each offer the users different advantages.

Hans

"Yury Yu. Rupasov" wrote:

> "Yury Yu. Rupasov" wrote:
> >
> > Hans Reiser wrote:

> > > I don't understand why you all didn't run more serious benchmarks.
> > > We'll try mongo.pl from the benchmarks section of www.namesys.com, and
> > > report on the results.
> > >
> > > Hans
> >
> > Yes, we have some results : ext2 vs. reiserfs on our web page :
> > http://www.namesys.com/benchmarks/benchmark-results.html
> >
> > But yes, now when xfs is released, it would be not bad to check
> > it performance too. The results will be ready a bit later.
> >

> I have some results now : bonnie++ for ext2, reiserfs and xfs :
>
> ftp://ftp.botik.ru/rented/namesys/ftp/pub/linux+reiserfs/gif/a.html
>
> Linux-2.4.2+xfs-1.0-patches,
>
> There was no problems to apply the next xfs patches
> to pure linux-2.4.2 :
>
> linux-2.4-xfs-1.0.patch
> linux-2.4.2-core-xfs-1.0,patch
>
> Test Machine : Celeron 500, 128 MB RAM,
> 8 GB test partition of 36 GB IDE HDD.
>
> The bonnie++ results show that reiserfs is much more faster
> in case of big amount of files (30000 files here).
>
> Here are also dbench results :
>
> ext2 xfs reiserfs
> -------------------------------------
> dbench 1 15.6062 19.0732 23.1156 mb/sec
> dbench 5 8.4490 11.6781 11.8350 mb/sec
> dbench 10 9.3481 6.1847 8.9247 mb/sec
> dbench 20 7.3631 2.6893 6.9256 mb/sec
>
> Unfortunately, I have no mongo.pl results, because the system
> hangs during performing mongo test on xfs system.
>
> I had to press "reset" button to reboot system, because all
> others ways did not work.
>
> There was no any error messages in the system log.
>
> Thanks,
> Yura.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.270 / U:0.752 seconds]