    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.4-ac10
    On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 07:45:15PM +0200, Mike Galbraith wrote:
    > Yes, ~exactly! I chose 30 tasks because they almost do (tool/userland
    > dependant.. must recalibrate often) fit. The bitch is to get the vm
    > to automagically detect the rss/cache munch tradeoff point without all
    > the manual help.

    What about a sysctl for that? Choose decent steps and let 0
    (which is an insane value) mean "let's kernel decide" and make
    this default.

    In the past we could do this by adjusting some watermarks in
    /proc/sys/vm but now, we can't do anything but trust the genius
    kernel developers.

    I doubt that we can test all kinds of workload and even imagine
    what pervert stuff some people do with their machines.

    Tuning _is_ manual work. Always has been and always will be.

    This countinously "I know it better then you" is what I hated
    about Windows and now this comes more and more into Linux :-(

    Rik: Would you take patches for such a tradeoff sysctl?

    Regards

    Ingo Oeser
    --
    To the systems programmer,
    users and applications serve only to provide a test load.