SubjectRe: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
At the risk of offending hundreds, I'll mention that dynamic naming of
disks and tapes has worked very well for many years in VMS. When you e.g.
mount a disk volume labelled FOO, the system creates a system logical name
DISK$FOO: for it automagically. Users don't care that it's really
$4$DUA7: (which is *really* disk#5 on one HSCxx controller and disk#2 on
another one). When you open DISK$FOO:[some.where]some.file , the kernel
knows what you meant.

Substitute ephemeral device special files for the system logical names and
you've got something like what's being discussed here.

Mind you, when that AI-thingy, I forget the name, suspects an impending
failure and wants to send me mail about it, *it* needs some way to tell me
which physical device needs replacing, so that I don't remove the wrong
one. So physical locations have value, but only in special circumstances.
Ordinary end-use and daily system administration shouldn't employ them.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer mwood@IUPUI.Edu
Make a good day.