SubjectRe: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca (Richard Gooch)  wrote on 16.05.01 in <200105162054.f4GKsaF10834@vindaloo.ras.ucalgary.ca>:

> H. Peter Anvin writes:
> > Richard Gooch wrote:

> > > Why do you think it's a bad idea?
> >
> > Because you are now, once again, tying two things that are
> > completely and utterly unrelated: device classification and device
> > name. It breaks every time someone comes out with a new device
> > which is "kind of like an old device, but not really," like
> > CD-writers (which was kind-of-like WORM, kind-of-like CD-ROM) and
> > DVD (kind-of-like CD)...
>
> But all devices which export a CD-ROM interface will do so. So the
> device node that is associated with the CD-ROM driver will export
> CD-ROM semantics, and the trailing name will be "/cd".

Uh, how do they have the filename end in more than one device type suffix
at the same time?

That was the point, remember. You're trying to find out about a device on
the end of your file handle, and that device *does* match more than one of
these.

MfG Kai

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.206 / U:1.364 seconds]