SubjectRe: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
Date
hacksaw@hacksaw.org (Hacksaw) writes:

> >So what is your solution for preventing a boot failure after disks/partitions
> >change ?
> >volume labels/UUID ?
>
> As a sys-admin, let me add a vote for this. Having (one day) a prom monitor
> program that looks at all the disks, and gives a menu of which one to boot
> from would make life so nice.
>
> I very often had to move disks from one platform to another, and changing ID's
> on the was hard or impossible in some cases, and required in others. Being
> able to find the disk by a label is a thousand times better.

Did you ever try grub?? This a gnu project, a boot-loader, with an embedded
shell... You can read ext2fs and select, your kernel, your root disk, your
params, etc...
--
Mathieu CHOUQUET-STRINGER E-Mail : mchouque@e-steel.com
Learning French is trivial: the word for horse is cheval, and