    SubjectRe: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
    > do with any specific drivers (which is why I'd be perfecly ok with still
    > adding a "disk" major number, but which is why I do NOT want to have Peter
    > give out "the random number of today" to various stupid device drivers).

    For block devices that seems to work well. char devices are harder and I'd
    rather issue the occasional new major than have people registering automatic
    cabbage slicers as a tty or a disk because they cant get a device id.

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.020 / U:89.132 seconds]