SubjectRe: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants

On Tue, 15 May 2001, James Simmons wrote:

> > I actually suggested something like this a while ago, mainly w.r.t. how
> > to deal with serial ports (e.g. /dev/ttyS0/callout instead of /dev/cua0).
>
> Very brillant. I like to see this as well, plus include the other serial
> devices.

Personally, I'd really like to see /dev/ttyS0 be the first detected serial
port on a system, /dev/ttyS1 the second, etc. Currently there are plenty of
different serial hardware with all their own drivers and /dev entries. For
embedded systems with serial consoles, and also across architectures, this
is a pain since the filesystem and namely /dev/inittab has to be adjusted
for all different types of UARTs. This is not the case for every different
type of NICs and that's a good thing.

Nicolas

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans