    SubjectRe: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
    > And my opinion is that the "hot-plugged" approach works for devices even
    > if they are soldered down - the "plugging" event just always happens
    > before the OS is booted, and people just don't unplug it. So we might as

    This is true on one condition. That you can ask the device what it is,
    what it does and to an extent where it is and how you get to it.

    Right now thyats much of what majors is about -but I still believe this is
    2.5 stuff

    > show up in /dev, and everywhere else it is needed. And the logical
    > extension of such a setup is to consider built-in devices to be plugged in
    > at bootup.

    Agreed

    > [ The biggest silliness is this "let's try to make the disks appear in the
    > same order that the BIOS probes them". Now THAT is really stupid, and it
    > goes on a lot more than I'd ever like to see. ]

    RIght - Lilo needs to know but nobody else should except when they need to ask
    eg to find which disk failed

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:4.067 / U:0.008 seconds]