    SubjectRe: Not a typewriter
    > IIRC, the 6 character linker requirement came from when the Bell Labs folk
    > ported the C compiler the IBM mainframe world, not from the early UNIX (tm)
    > world. During the original ANSI C meetings, I got the sense from the IBM rep,

    6 character linker name limits are very old. Honeywell L66 GCOS3/TSS which I
    had the dubious pleasure of experiencing and which is a direct derivative of
    GECOS and thus relevant to the era like many 36bit boxes uses 6 char link names

    Why - well because 6 BCD characters fit in a 36bit word and its a single compare
    to check symbol matches

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:4.458 / U:0.248 seconds]