    SubjectRe: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
    Andi Kleen writes:
    > On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 01:29:51PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > Big device numbers are _not_ a solution. I will accept a 32-bit one, but
    > > no more, and I will _not_ accept a "manage by hand" approach any more. The
    > > time has long since come to say "No". Which I've done. If you can't make
    > > it manage the thing automatically with a script, you won't get a hardcoded
    > > major device number just because you're lazy.
    > As far as I can see it just needs a /proc/devices that also outputs
    > minor ranges with names, and a small program similar to scsidev to
    > generate nodes in /dev based on that on the fly on early bootup.

    You can do that with devfs. It provides all this information. If you
    really don't want to mount devfs over /dev, then mount it elsewhere
    and just use it as an information source to populate /dev. No need to
    add more code to the kernel to do it another way.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.020 / U:2.468 seconds]