    SubjectRe: 2.4.4 kernel freeze for unknown reason
    On Sat, 12 May 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > Why do I not see this behavior with a heavy swap throughput test load?
    > > It seems decidedly odd to me that swapspace should remain allocated on
    > > other folks lightly loaded boxen given that my heavily loaded box does
    > > release swapspace quite regularly. What am I missing?
    > If you swap really hard it seems much happier. If you vaguely swap stuff out
    > over time then I too see the description above only I have Rik's dont deadlock
    > on oom tweak so I see apps die.

    Does any swap write/release if you hit such a box with heavy duty IO?
    (pages on dirty list, swapspace allocated but writeout defered?)

    If not, I'd be interested in seeing sysrq-m of a box in such a state..
    particularly so if the total pages on active, dirty and clean lists is
    only a small fraction of total pages. (information leak?)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.021 / U:0.576 seconds]