SubjectRe: LVM 1.0 release decision
Date
Alan writes (re LVM):
> Please fix the binary incompatibility in the on disk format between the
> current code and your new release _before_ you do that. The last patches
> I was sent would have screwed every 64bit LVM user.
>
> A new format is fine but import old ones properly. And if you do a new format
> stop using kdev_t on disk - it will change size soon

Actually, there is no need to store kdev_t on disk at all, nor is there a
need to store device name. By the time you have located the device, you
don't need that information any more. I think that stuff is just a hold
over from when in-core and on-disk data was the same, and should be removed.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
\ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?"