    SubjectRe: Source code compatibility in Stable series????

    Rogier Wolff writes:
    > But it's always been said that source code compatiblity would be
    > maintained.

    "when possible", we've made no such total souce level
    compat. guarentee. And more such changes are coming, for example the
    quota bugs can't be fixed without breaking source level compat. for
    the filesystems.

    You may think and argue otherwise, but our ability to break source
    level compatibility is one of our strengths (see solaris rsh root
    owned socket bug of yesteryear for one example as to why).

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davem@redhat.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:2.463 / U:0.020 seconds]