[lkml]   [2001]   [May]   [1]   [last100]   RSS Feed

> > please try to reproduce the bad behaviour with 2.4.4aa2. There's a bug
    > > in the parent-timeslice patch in 2.4 that I fixed while backporting it
    > > to 2.2aa and that I now forward ported the fix to 2.4aa. The fact
    > > 2.4.4 gives the whole timeslice to the child just gives more light to
    > > such bug.
    > The fact that 2.4.4 gives the whole timeslice to the child
    > is just bogus to begin with.
    > The problem people tried to solve was "make sure the kernel
    > runs the child first after a fork", this has just about
    > NOTHING to do with how the timeslice is distributed.
    > Now, since we are in a supposedly stable branch of the kernel,
    > why mess with the timeslice distribution between parent and
    > child? The timeslice distribution that has worked very well
    > for the last YEARS...

I'm running with this below patch applied since a some time (I didn't
    submitted it because for some reason unless I do p->policy &=
    ~SCHED_YIELD ksoftirqd deadlocks at boot and I didn't yet investigated
    why, and I'd like to have the whole picture on it first):

diff -urN z/include/linux/sched.h z1/include/linux/sched.h
    --- z/include/linux/sched.h Mon Apr 30 04:22:25 2001
    +++ z1/include/linux/sched.h Mon Apr 30 02:45:07 2001
    @@ -301,7 +301,7 @@
    * all fields in a single cacheline that are needed for
    * the goodness() loop in schedule().
    - int counter;
    + volatile int counter;
    int nice;
    unsigned int policy;
    struct mm_struct *mm;
    diff -urN z/kernel/fork.c z1/kernel/fork.c
    --- z/kernel/fork.c Mon Apr 30 04:22:25 2001
    +++ z1/kernel/fork.c Mon Apr 30 03:49:26 2001
    @@ -666,17 +666,17 @@
    p->pdeath_signal = 0;

- * Give the parent's dynamic priority entirely to the child. The
    - * total amount of dynamic priorities in the system doesn't change
    - * (more scheduling fairness), but the child will run first, which
    - * is especially useful in avoiding a lot of copy-on-write faults
    - * if the child for a fork() just wants to do a few simple things
    - * and then exec(). This is only important in the first timeslice.
    - * In the long run, the scheduling behavior is unchanged.
    + * Scheduling the child first is especially useful in avoiding a
    + * lot of copy-on-write faults if the child for a fork() just wants
    + * to do a few simple things and then exec().
    - p->counter = current->counter;
    - current->counter = 0;
    - current->need_resched = 1;
    + {
    + int counter = current->counter >> 1;
    + current->counter = p->counter = counter;
    + p->policy &= ~SCHED_YIELD;
    + current->policy |= SCHED_YIELD;
    + current->need_resched = 1;
    + }
    /* Tell the parent if it can get back its timeslice when child exits */
    p->get_child_timeslice = 1;

The only point of my previous email is that if a fork loop has very
    invasive effect on the rest of the system that more probably indicates
    people got bitten by the bug in the parent-timeslice logic, furthmore I
    never noticed any sluggish behaviour on my systems and before posting my
    previous email I had 1 definitive feedback that the bad beahviour
    observed on vanilla 2.4.4 with parallel compiles in the background got
    cured *completly* by my tree (that in the tested revision didn't
    included the above inlined change yet). So I thought it was worth
    mentioning about the effect of the parent-timeslice bugfix here too.
    This doesn't mean I don't want something like the above inlined patch
    integrated.

Andrea
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:3.116 / U:1.428 seconds]
    ©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site