SubjectRe: memory allocation problems
On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 10:06:47AM -0400, majer@endeca.com wrote:
> Essentially, the problem can be summarized to be that on a machine
> with ample ram (2G, 4G, etc), I am unable to malloc a gig if I ask
> for the memory in small ( <= 128k) chunks. I've enclosed some results
> and a little program which was put together to demonstrate the problems
> we're having. All of the failures seem to occur around 930MB.

It's bumping against some mapping (just do system("cat /proc/self/maps")
on allocation failure to see which). Usual suspects are shared libraries.
One possible solution is to upgrade to a newer glibc, the 2.2 glibc malloc
should handle this case better.
A way to get mappings like shared libraries out of the way is to
increase the value of TASK_UNMAPPED_BASE in include/asm-i386/processor.h.
For that the kernel needs to be recompiled and it should be smaller
TASK_SIZE-enough space for your shared libraries. With that even the older
malloc will probably work.

-Andi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.053 / U:17.168 seconds]