From me, a POV without technical reasons is not a philosical one but more certainly an historical one.

Process that will be runnable are not participating to the load so why incrementing the load average.
Moreover if a process should be in state D only for a short time, the influence of the incrementation should be near null for an AVERAGE value.
So why doing that (I mean load++) if there's an influence only when a process stay in a D state for a long time (= when the only effect is to distort the load measure) ?

What's the technical reason behind this load_avrg++ ???

On mer, 04 avr 2001 16:20:04 Paul Jakma wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, christophe barbe wrote:
> > The sleep should certainly be interruptible and I that's what I
> > said to the GFS guy. But what the reason to increment the load
> > average for each D process ?
> from a philosical POV: they are processes that will be runnable as
> soon as the kernel returns to them.
> no idea if there are technical reasons for it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Christophe
> --paulj
Christophe Barbé