    SubjectRe: uninteruptable sleep (D state => load_avrg++)
    <skip>
    I've unfortunately no significant Unix culture.
    I'm certainly young enough to be excused and by luck Linux shows me the road to the hacker heaven.
    So now I move forward the good direction, trying to understand the POSIX stuff ....
    </skip>

    From me, a POV without technical reasons is not a philosical one but more certainly an historical one.

    Process that will be runnable are not participating to the load so why incrementing the load average.
    Moreover if a process should be in state D only for a short time, the influence of the incrementation should be near null for an AVERAGE value.
    So why doing that (I mean load++) if there's an influence only when a process stay in a D state for a long time (= when the only effect is to distort the load measure) ?

    What's the technical reason behind this load_avrg++ ???

    Christophe

    --
    Christophe Barbé
    Software Engineer

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.024 / U:29.992 seconds]