    SubjectRe: uninteruptable sleep (D state => load_avrg++)
    I've unfortunately no significant Unix culture.
    I'm certainly young enough to be excused and by luck Linux shows me the road to the hacker heaven.
    So now I move forward the good direction, trying to understand the POSIX stuff ....

    From me, a POV without technical reasons is not a philosical one but more certainly an historical one.

    Process that will be runnable are not participating to the load so why incrementing the load average.
    Moreover if a process should be in state D only for a short time, the influence of the incrementation should be near null for an AVERAGE value.
    So why doing that (I mean load++) if there's an influence only when a process stay in a D state for a long time (= when the only effect is to distort the load measure) ?

    What's the technical reason behind this load_avrg++ ???

    On mer, 04 avr 2001 16:20:04 Paul Jakma wrote:
    > On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, christophe barbe wrote:
    > > The sleep should certainly be interruptible and I that's what I
    > > said to the GFS guy. But what the reason to increment the load
    > > average for each D process ?
    > from a philosical POV: they are processes that will be runnable as
    > soon as the kernel returns to them.
    > no idea if there are technical reasons for it.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Christophe
    > --paulj
    Christophe Barbé
    Software Engineer
    Lineo High Availability Group
    42-46, rue Médéric
    92110 Clichy - France
    phone (33).
    fax (33).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.024 / U:116.352 seconds]