Subject2.2.19 hangs just before "Uncompressing Linux"
Hi kernel gurus & testers:

When booting from my recently compiled Linux kernel version 2.2.19, about
90-95% of times the system hangs just after printing:
And doesn't get to the point where the kernel uncompresses (that is, no
Uncompressing message). However, booting the same kernel from floppy is OK
and works 100% of times (the same applies for other kernel versions).

With 2.2.18 I've been experiencing the same behavior, but with this
version instead of hanging, the machine reboots itself, and "only" about
50% of times. Also I discovered that pressing some keybpard keys while the
kernel is being loaded makes it more probable to get a succesful boot.

With kernel version 2.2.17-idepci as shipped on Debian Potato, I've never
experienced any kind of problems.

Searching through the mailing list archives I've seen comments about a
possible defective RAM causing this problem. However, the system never
hung up once it is up un runnig, and this machine is nearly always using
all of my RAM and working at high workloads.

Information about related important hardware and software follows:
Debian Woody with gcc 2.95.3-5

cat /proc/cpuinfo (166 MHz Pentium @ 166 MHz)
-----------------
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 5
model : 2
model name : Pentium 75 - 200
stepping : 12
cpu MHz : 165.793
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : no
f00f_bug : yes
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8
bogomips : 330.95
cat /proc/pci
-------------
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 430HX - 82439HX TXC [Triton II] (rev 03)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II] (rev 01)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 IDE [Natoma/Triton II] (prog-if 80 [Master])
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
I/O ports at f000

dmesg
-----
Linux version 2.2.19 (root@dardhal) (gcc version 2.95.3 20010219 (prerelease)) #1 s