SubjectRe: 2.4.4 breaks dhcpcd with Realtek 8139
On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 11:29:15AM -0700, David Lang wrote:
> what sort of switch are you plugged into? some Cisco switches have a
> 'feature' that ignores all traffic from a port for X seconds after a
> machine is plugged in / powered on on a port (they claim somehting about
> preventing loops) it may be that the new kernel now boots up faster then
> the old one so that the DHCP request is lost in the switch, a few seconds
> later when you do it by hand the swich has enabled your port and
> everything works.

I'm plugged in to a cable modem, with the DHCP server at the ISP. The
server requires the MAC address to be registered, so sending the DHCP
request with a different MAC address could cause the symptoms. I doubt
it's a timing problem - replacing the 8139 driver with the 2.4.3 version
but otherwise using the distributed 2.4.4 makes DHCP work as expected.

Michael Gordon

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.072 / U:6.300 seconds]