    SubjectSuggestion for module .init.{text,data} sections
    	A while ago, on linux-kernel, we had a discussion about
    adding support for __initdata and __init in modules. Somebody
    (whose name escapes me) had implemented it by essentially adding
    a vmrealloc() facility in the kernel. I think I've thought of a
    simpler way, that would require almost no kernel changes.

    Have insmod split the module into two parts and load them
    as two modules. First, create the regular part of the module as usual
    (without .data.init and .text.init), except with no initialization
    routine set. Second, create a module from the .data.init and the
    .text.init sections (if any), with it's initialization routine set
    to the module's init_module routine, even if that routine resides
    in the first module. Third, there will be cross references between
    these two modules, so will generally be necessary to resolve the
    relocations before loading either module. Fourth, load the first
    module. This will always succeed, since there is no initialization
    routine to fail. Fifth, load the second module, the one made of .data.init
    and .text.init. It will run the actual module_init function. If the
    module initialization routine fails, both modules are unloaded and
    the usual failure behavior happens. If the module initialization
    succeeds, the ".init" module (the second module) is unloaded.

    Potentially, this could save some memory footprint in
    highly modularized systems and cleanup linux/include/init.h.
    I guess I would imagine this as a potential 2.5 feature, or
    perhaps as a default-off option intended soley for stress testing
    in 2.4.

    I started looking through the modutils sources, but I was
    a little disappointed to discover that it is ELF-specific rather
    than written in bfd, as I am pretty unfamiliar with ELF innards but
    a little more conversant in bfd. Maybe I'll take a whack at it yet,
    but I figure I should at least pass the idea along and see if I'm
    overlooking anything obvious.

    Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104 \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
    fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.021 / U:53.132 seconds]