    SubjectRe: Let init know user wants to shutdown [linux-power] [linux-pm-devel] [linux-kernel-mailing-list] [some-other-list]
    Hi!

    > > You can break the whole power management problem down to "here are the
    > > levels of low-power provided by the hardware, here are the idleness
    > > triggers that may be monitored". That's it, nothing more.
    > > This is powerful enough to do all the things you could want a pm layer
    > > to do:
    > >
    > > 1) CPU's have been in their idle threads for X percent of
    > > of the past measurement quantum, half clock the processors.
    > >
    > > 2) The user has hit the "sleep" trigger, spin down the disks,
    > > reduce clock the cpus, bus, PCI controller and PCI devices.
    >
    > Often the 'sleep trigger' is an _absence_ of activity rather than anything
    > explicit like a button being pressed. You need inactivity timers, and events
    > which _reset_ those timers, on triggers like keyboard/touchscreen/serial
    > input, etc.

    I believe that at least thermal managment should be done in
    kernelspace. You do not want to overheat your cpu because you
    accidentally killed powerd, right?
    Pavel
    --
    The best software in life is free (not shareware)! Pavel
    GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+