    SubjectRe: [patch] linux likes to kill bad inodes

    On Wednesday, April 25, 2001 10:01:20 PM +0200 Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz>
    wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    >> > Hi!
    >> >
    >> > I had a temporary disk failure (played with acpi too much). What
    >> > happened was that disk was not able to do anything for five minutes
    >> > or so. When disk recovered, linux happily overwrote all inodes it
    >> > could not read while disk was down with zeros -> massive disk
    >> > corruption.
    >> >
    >> > Solution is not to write bad inodes back to disk.
    >> >

    >> Wouldn't we rather make it so bad inodes don't get marked dirty at all?
    >
    > I guess this is cheaper: we can mark inode dirty at 1000 points, but
    > you only write it at one point.

    Whoops, I worded that poorly. To me, it seems like a bug to dirty a bad
    inode. If this patch works, it is because somewhere, somebody did
    something with a bad inode, and thought the operation worked (otherwise,
    why dirty it?).

    So yes, even if we dirty them in a 1000 different places, we need to find
    the one place that believes it can do something worthwhile to a bad inode.

    -chris

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.023 / U:30.268 seconds]