    SubjectRe: [Semi-OT] Dual Athlon support in kernel
    Joseph Carter <> writes:

    > On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 01:18:57PM +0300, Ville Herva wrote:
    > > There's also AthlonLinux and AthlonGCC
    > >, but I have no experience with those
    > > (I have no Athlon ;( ).
    > A warning about agcc, I've discovered that it does not always compile code
    > quite the way you expect it. This is unsurprising given it's based on
    > pgcc which is known to change alignments on you in ways that sometimes
    > break things subtly.
    > I do not know if agcc actually can produce code which simply does not work
    > as is reported with pgcc (I suspect the alignment differences account for
    > many of those cases), but I recall reading in the past few days that agcc
    > is not supported for compiling the kernel.
    > It also fails to properly compile certain other programs, notably anything
    > that includes asm functions. As a result, my own experience suggests you
    > consider agcc in the same class as gcc 3.0 at the moment - experimental.
    > Hopefully the k7 optimizations that work well will find their way into a
    > nice athlon subarch options in standard gcc and agcc won't be necessary.

    Note that gcc 3.0 will have support for Athlons, -mcpu=athlon and
    -march=athlon are both supported and will do the right thing. For
    details you should ask Jan Hubicka who implemented this some time ago,

    Andreas Jaeger
    SuSE Labs

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.023 / U:145.968 seconds]