    SubjectRe: hundreds of mount --bind mountpoints?

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Ingo Oeser wrote:

    > We have this kind of stuff all over the place. If we allocate
    > some small amount of memory and and need some small amount
    > associated with this memory, there is no problem with a little
    > waste.

    Little? How about quarter of kilobyte per inode? sizeof(struct inode)
    is nearly half-kilobyte. And icache can easily get to ~100000 elements.

    > Waste is better than fragmentation. This is the lesson people
    > learned from segments in the ia32.
    >
    > Objects are easier to manage, if they are the same size.

    So don't keep them in the same cache. Notice that quite a few systems
    keep vnode separately from fs-specific data. For a very good reason.

    Al

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.043 / U:1.328 seconds]