    SubjectRe: Idea: Encryption plugin architecture for file-systems

    On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Tamas Nagy wrote:

    > extend the current file-system with an optional plug-in system, which allows
    > for file-system level encryption instead of file-level. This could be used
    > transparently for applications or even for file-system drivers. This
    > doesn't mean an encrypted file-system, but a transparent encryption of a
    > media instead.

    Tamas,
    you may want to read this:

    http://encryptionhowto.sourceforge.net/Encryption-HOWTO-4.html

    the international kernel patch (www.kerneli.org) has had this
    implemented for some time. There is lot more info on crypto in Linux at:

    http://encryptionhowto.sourceforge.net/

    > Advantages:
    > #1: optional security level for every data, without user interaction.
    > #2: if this idea is used e.g. for portable media (like cdrom), your backup
    > could be in safe also.
    > #3: (almost;)) everybody could create own security plugin for their data,
    > and not have to trust on the designers of a secure file systems.

    I don't think it's that involved but you can certainly apply a cipher to a
    mounted partition.

    > So, what do you think about this? Is Linux kernel enough flexible to do
    > this? What changes are necessary to do such a thing? Is there any other way,
    > to have own security for file-systems or portable medias? Is this
    > implementation could be used in the US?

    You can use it in the states but you cannot develop for it within the
    states - well, the regulations changes but I am not sure if the kerneli
    guys will trust that... that's a totally different debate in itself.

    Bart.

    --
    WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/