On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Sorry, I was talking about a local patch not a global patch. If a user
> must patch their 2.2 kernel to get the starfire driver working anyway,
> then adding a change to do s/.a/.o/ on Makefiles would be simple.

People don't need to patch *anything* to get the starfire driver working --
it's included in 2.2.19 and working rather well I might add. :-)

This was a special case, which btw had nothing to do with the starfire
driver itself. The user needed to support more than 8 eth ports, which
2.2 complains about, and more than 16 eth ports, which 2.2 simply doesn't
allow without further changes.

Ion

--
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
than to open it and remove all doubt.