SubjectRe: bug database braindump from the kernel summit

On 04.03 Jeff Garzik wrote:
> "J . A . Magallon" wrote:
> > Could <installkernel> make part of the kernel scripts, or in one other
> > standard software package, like modutils, so its versions are controlled
>
> There is value in putting it into the Linux kernel source tree, in
> linux/scripts dir. But most vendors can and should take this script as
> a sample, and customize it for their distro. The Linux-Mandrake
> installkernel script definitely gets touched every so often, and
> decisions it makes, like updating lilo.conf or grub/menu.lst, or
> autodetecting the boot loader, are definitely not to be applied for all
> cases.

I think that should be split in two, one thing is building and install a kernel
and one other is add the entry in your bootloader config ('update-bootloader',
for example, that looks into /boot and adds missing entries).

> FWIW here is our /sbin/installkernel command line usage help text, to
> give a glimpse of what it does and can do:

I know, run Cooker.

> There will never be an official place to put this stuff, because that's
> a distro policy decision. A quick search just now reveals no reference
> to /boot in the i386 Makefiles, and only a quick reference in the README
> file.

linux/Makefile, #INSTALL_PATH=/boot

> > And you can add something like /proc/signature/map, /proc/signature/config,
> > etc to md5-check if a certain file fits running kernel.

I usually think about /proc like the way to do a 'cat' instead of a 'syscall',
in this case to ask kernel for various md5 sigs,
but of course you can always write a user app that queries kernel and prints
result for your scripting pleasure...

--
J.A. Magallon # Let the source
mailto:jamagallon@able.es # be with you, Luke...

Linux werewolf 2.4.3 #2 SMP Fri Mar 30 15:42:05 CEST 2001 i686