    SubjectRe: PCI power management
    >null = 'do absolutely nothing'
    >generic = 'do D3 as per the specification'
    >The idea being the PM layer would go around calling
    > dev->power_off(dev);
    >as a default notifier for PCI devices.

    Ok, I see. I didn't understand that the functions you were talking about
    would be defaults to put directly in the pci_dev structure.

    >And in the case of the cards like that you would need a custom mask. So you'd
    > pci_set_power_handler(dev, atyfb_power_on, atyfb_power_off)
    >to get a custom function. For most authors however they can call the power
    >handler setup just using prerolled functions that do the right thing and know
    >about any architecture horrors they dont.

    Right. However, rare are the drivers that don't need at least to know
    that a power management sequence is going on. All bus mastering drivers,
    at least, must stop bus mastering (and clearing the bit in the command
    register is not enough on a bunch of them). Most drivers have to cleanly
    stop ongoing operations, refuse (or block) requests while the driver is
    sleeping, etc... and finally configure things back once waking up. I
    don't see much cases where a simple "default" function would work.

    My current scheme on powerbook don't do half of that... it still sorta
    works since I manage to stop all scheduling and shut things down in the
    proper order, but it's neither a clean nor a safe way to do things.

    >I'd rather
    > pci_dev->powerstate
    >or similar as a set of flags in the device.

    Ok, agree with that one.

    I sill consider, however, that the current suspend/resume callbacks in
    the pci_dev structure are not the best way to do things. I would have
    really prefered that each pci_dev embed a pm notifier structure. In some
    cases, we want to pass more than simple suspend/resume messages (suspend
    request, suspend now, suspend cancel, and resume are the 4 messages I use
    on powerbooks).

    Also, this can be generalized to other type of drivers (USB, IEEE1394,
    ..), eventually passing bus-specific messages

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.023 / U:89.624 seconds]