    "Jens Axboe wrote:"
    > Examine _why_ you don't want plugging. In 2.2, you would have to edit
    > the kernel manually to disable it for your device.

    True. Except that I borrowed a major which already got that special

    > For 2.4, as long as
    > there has been blk_queue_pluggable, there has also been the
    > disable-merge function mentioned. Why are you disabling plugging??

    Fundamentally, to disable merging, as you suggest. I had merging
    working fine in 2.0.*. Then I never could figure out what had to be
    done in 2.2.*, so I disabled it. In 2.4, things work nicely - I don't
    have to do anything and it all happens magically.

    Nevertheless, I am left with baggage that I have to maintain -
    certainly the driver has to work in 2.2 as well as in 2.4. Removing
    the blah_plugging function now in 2.4 after having started off 2.4
    with it around gives me one more #ifdef kernel_version in my code.

    I don't think that's good for my code, and in general I don't think one
    should remove this function half way through a stable series. Leave it
    there, mark it as deprecated in big letters, and make it do nothing,
    but leave it there, no?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.023 / U:40.084 seconds]