    SubjectRe: [linux-lvm] Re: [repost] Announce: Linux-OpenLVM mailing list
    On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 01:45:20PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
    > I don't think that the subscription is necessarily the only issue. I'm
    > subscribed to all of the LVM mailing lists, and still a lot of what I
    > submit (legitimate bug fixes, and not just features/code cleanup) does
    > not get added to CVS.

    Just alone the fact that you as number one submitter of LVM-bugfixes since
    at least 0.8 do not get CVS write access is a sign of closedness for me.

    But we discussed that on the sistina list.

    > Yes, the no-possible-harm patches like man pages
    > went in, but not other stuff. Also, it doesn't appear that any of the
    > LVM changes are making it into the stock kernel, which is basically a
    > recepie for disaster.

    100% True. A few days ago I looke at the LVM patches to see what parts
    of it could be fed to Linus in small pieces - but it's such a _huge_
    mixture of bugfixes, cleanups and move-arounds that it looks pretty
    much impossible.

    > Basically, I'm at the point where trying to create clean patches from my
    > LVM source tree to apply to CVS is so much work it is hardly worth it.

    IMHO wou should just put _your_ tree on a sever and submit it (in pieces)
    to Linus. AFAIK all serious users of LVM have used you're patched versions.

    Maybe openlvm is a good hood for such a project?

    > I'm seriously looking at devoting the time I used to spend on LVM to the
    > EVMS project instead. They (appear to) have in-kernel LVM support working
    > already, so no user tools needed for VG/LV activation. Granted, they don't
    > yet have tools to create/modify VG/LVs, but I think I can help them there.

    Yes - when looking at what code they produces it looks a _lot_ cleaner than
    Linux-LVM and while the papers had serious signs of Overengeering the
    actual code looks very good to me - it could just get a little better
    integrated with the main kernel, but that's a 2.5 issue.

    Christoph