    SubjectRe: Kernel 2.5 Workshop RealVideo streams -- next time, please get better audio.
    On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 10:46:20PM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
    > support for NUMA hardware (it's not cache coherent) right now

    btw, there are three kind of NUMA systems:

    1) cc-numa first citizens (wildfire alpha, future chips)
    2) cc-numa second citizens (origin2k)
    3) non cache coherent numa machines

    On the first class numa citizens NUMA means "heuristics for higher performance".
    On those systems you don't need any NUMA change for correct operation of the
    kernel (besides the fact you may need to use discontigmem to boot the kernel
    if there can be huge physical holes in the physical layout of the ram but
    that is true also for any other non numa machine with big holes in the physical
    ram address space).

    On the second and thrid class of NUMA systems NUMA means "required changes
    for correct operations of the system". difference between 1 and 2 is that
    category 2) needs also to put specialized PIO memory barriers to serialize the
    I/O across different nodes. So it "only" additionaly requires total auditing of
    the device drivers.

    I think linux will need to optimize class 1 of systems and I assume SGI has the
    PIO memory barriers patches for the device drivers to support class 2 as well.

    Nobody ever considered the non cache coherent numa support so far AFIK and
    I guess it will hardly end into mainline (personally I wouldn't be that
    excited to deal with that additional complexity ;). If you can tell, what
    system is it?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.044 / U:43.124 seconds]