    SubjectRe: No 100 HZ timer!

    > Given a system speed, there is a repeating timer rate which will consume
    > 100% of the system in handling the timer interrupts. An attempt will
    > be made to detect this rate and adjust the timer to prevent system
    > lockup. This adjustment will look like timer overruns to the user
    > (i.e. we will take a percent of the interrupts and record the untaken
    > interrupts as overruns)

    just at first blush, there are some things in general but I need to read
    this again and more closely....

    but, with POSIX timers, there is a nifty little restriction/protection built
    into the spec regarding the re-insertion of short interval repeating timers.
    that is: a repeating timer will not be re-inserted until AFTER the
    associated signal handler has been handled.

    this has some interesting consequences for signal handling and signal
    delivery implementations, but importantly, it ensures that even a flood of
    POSIX timers with very short repeat intervals will be handled cleanly.

    I will get more detailed comments to you tomorrow.

    Mark Salisbury

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.021 / U:5.516 seconds]